Schedule for 2021
Below are details of our programme of member events and outings for 2021. Non-members are warmly welcomed at our face-to-face events for a £3 fee each time, unless otherwise stated. For our online (Zoom) events, links are sent out a few days beforehand to everyone on our mailing list.
The venue for our meetings is Uplyme Village Hall, Lyme Road, Uplyme, Lyme Regis, DT7 3UY (unless otherwise specified).
Directions: the Village Hall is in Uplyme on the B3165 between Hunters Lodge and Lyme Regis. Driving from Hunters Lodge, the hall is on the right after the mini roundabout and the filling station. There is parking in front of or behind the hall.
All events are subject to current COVID restrictions. The site will be updated regularly as we have new information.
- Zoom talk – ‘Native Plants as Garden Flowers’
February 24th (Wednesday) – join at 7pm for a 7.15pm start
Bob Brown of Cotswold Garden Flowers will be talking about how native plants are easier to grow and look more natural in gardens.
Bob has a life-long obsession with hardy perennials, widened and much honed since he started his nursery Cotswold Garden Flowers 30 years ago on an isolated acre of unpropitious alkaline clay in Worcestershire. He is known for having opinions (many very critical) about all the 18,000 plus kinds of plants he’s grown or tried to grow. He has been vice chairman of the Herbaceous Committees of the RHS overseeing trials for the Award of Garden Merit (AGM). He writes for various periodicals including a monthly series in Gardening Which. He’s holder of the Veitch Memorial Medal, awarded annually by the RHS for outstanding contribution to the advancement of science and practice of horticulture.
- Potato in a Bucket Competition
Potato collection Saturday February 27th 10am – 12noon (subject to coronavirus restrictions)The first step on the path to our 2021 Show will be the distribution of seed potatoes. As we cannot be sure what form the Show will take this year, there will be no charge for the tubers or buckets. At present, we do not know whether there will be a weigh-in on Show Day or online, or whether there will be prizes – we are playing everything by ear until the situation becomes much clearer. All of you who have a bucket from last year (and we know who you are!) should bring it along to Uplyme Playing Field on Saturday February 27th between 10am and 12pm, to collect a potato. If you do not want to take part this year, please either bring the bucket anyway, or contact Robin Britton to arrange to return it – there may be members who want to give it a try this year. If you would like to participate and do not have a bucket please contact Robin Britton (email@example.com).
One member has over-ordered their own seed potatoes and kindly donated the surplus (different types). These will be available on February 27th, again free, though donations will be welcome for Society funds.
Collection will depend upon prevailing lockdown restrictions so please look out for further news by email and on our website.
- Zoom talk – ‘How to grow a dried flower garden’
March 17th (Wednesday) – join at 7pm for a 7.15pm start
Our speaker in March is Bex Partridge, a floral artist who has recently moved to East Devon with her young family. Bex grows, gathers and then dries her plants to design ethereal flower arrangements which reflect the seasons. Bex will be showing us the plants that she is sowing in her garden now, for collecting later in the year and using to create her unique floral arrangements.
April 28th 2021 (Wednesday) 7 for 7.15pm Zoom online talk
‘British Owls, their Natural History and Practical Conservation’ by Chris Sperring. Chris is a professional wildlife conservationist with the Hawk and Owl Trust. There will be a live owl on camera too!Postponed
- June 11th 2021 (Friday) Own cars trip to Corscombe House/Harvard Farm.
- June 25th 2021 (Friday) Zoom talk – ‘Murder Most Florid’, 7.00 for 7.15pm
Start your weekend with a murder mystery by joining Dr Mark Spencer, forensic botanist. Mark works as a specialist crime scene investigator with various police forces to interpret crime scenes and analyse trace evidence that can link a suspect to a crime. As he says “Plants hold secrets.”
June 23rd 2021 (Wednesday) Talk ‘The Scented Garden’ by Jeremy Wilson. June 30th (Wednesday) Evening visit in own cars to Musbury Barton.
- July 10th 2021 (Saturday) 1-5pm Summer Flower and Produce Fair, Uplyme Village Hall
We hope to stage our delayed summer show with its theme of ‘Lavender’. Full details here.
- July 23rd (Friday) Own cars trip to Corscombe House/Harvard Farm. (The interest in this trip, had it run in 2020, was so high that we’ve arranged a second date.)
- July 28th (Wednesday) ‘Snakes Alive’, 7.30pm, Uplyme Village Hall – talk for Lifeboat Week.
As our contribution to Lifeboat Week we’ll be hosting a talk and display – ‘Snakes Alive’. Dave Marsh of World Life will be our expert for the evening, giving you a chance to get a close-up look at these compelling reptiles.
Proceeds go to the RNLI. Tickets cost £3 and are available from Brian Cursley on 07831 533580, Uplyme Stores and the RNLI shop in Lyme Regis.
- August 6th (Friday), coach trip to Taunton Flower Show
We are proposing to recommence our coach trips with a trip to Taunton Flower Show. As the event is more centrally placed this year, there will be plenty of opportunity to visit Taunton town centre as well. If you are interested in this, please register with Rose Mock, (firstname.lastname@example.org 01297 34733) so we can assess whether the trip is viable.
- September 15th (Wednesday) Talk ‘Revive your garden’ by Nick Bailey, Gardeners’ World presenter and former head gardener at the Chelsea Physic Garden. Nick will talk about how to breathe life, style and good health back into tired gardens. This will be a ticketed event. The talk will cost £5 for members; £10 for non-members. Please register for the talk with Jo Benke-Smith email@example.com 07504 442219
- Saturday 2nd October. Coffee morning for new members. In the Village Hall from 10 til 12 noon. This event is to thank show volunteers and helpers, and especially to welcome new members to the Society.
- Wednesday 27th October. Autumn Show, Uplyme Village Hall, bring entries from 7pm. Show starts at 7.30pm. Bring your own picnic (subject to Covid precautions) and meet fellow members for a social evening. You can download the Autumn Show Schedule 2021 here (PDF file).
- Wednesday 24th November. Talk. Chris Sperring, British Owls (with live owl). This is the talk that was postponed from April and will now be held live in Uplyme Village Hall rather than by Zoom. Doors open 7pm, talk starts 7.30pm.
- Wednesday 15th December, demonstration. At the Village Hall from 7.30pm, we have booked floral artist Bex Partridge again, to demonstrate how to make a dried flower arrangement. More details to follow soon .
Find out more
Members should be receiving invitations to events by email and a monthly newsletter. If you are not receiving these (and have not unsubscribed from our emails) please contact Lois Wakeman (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you change your email address please contact our membership secretary Anita Routley (email@example.com).
Please note that all events are subject to change and cancellation, depending upon prevailing Covid-19 restrictions.
You should check the monthly email newsletter and this website for the latest information. Jo Benke-Smith is the chair of our trips and talks group and may be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org / 07504 442219.